POLICE BRUTALITY/TERRORISM STRIKES AGAIN: Witnesses Say A Utah African-American Man Was Running Away From Police When They Shot & Murdered Him [TW: Racism, Ethnocentrism, White Privilege]
An attorney for the family of the 22-year-old black man who was fatally shot by Utah police last week says the evidence suggests he was running away—contradicting earlier reports that he had “lunged” at the police officers.
Darrien Hunt attracted police attention Wednesday morning outside Saratoga Springs when he allegedly began walking around with a samurai sword. His family later described the sword as a “harmless 3-foot souvenir sword with a rounded edge” purchased at a gift shop, the AP reports.
Hunt was reportedly shot at least four times and died on the street outside a Panda Expressrestaurant.
Police initially claimed they shot him after he “brandished the sword and lunged toward the officers with the sword,” Utah County Chief Deputy Attorney Tim Taylor told reporters.
But Hunt’s mother—and some witnesses—say otherwise.
"They killed my son because he’s black. No white boy with a little sword would they shoot while he’s running away," Susan Hunt told the Deseret Times. “Those stupid cops thought they had to murder over a toy. This is my baby. This is my family. And they ruined my family.”
According to the LA Times, there’s evidence that suggests the shooting may not have been warranted:
According to Salt Lake City attorney Randall K. Edwards, an independent autopsy conducted Saturday at the behest of Hunt’s family showed Hunt had been shot “numerous times,” none from the front.
"This is consistent with statements made by witnesses on the scene, who report that Darrien was shot to death while running away from the police," Edwards said in a statement provided to the Los Angeles Times on Sunday. "It would appear difficult, if not impossible, to reconcile these facts with the story released by the Utah County Attorney’s Office that Darrien was lunging toward the officers when he was shot. We continue to hope that a full investigation will reveal the whole truth about this tragedy."
The LA Times does note, however, that Edwards declined to identify the pathologist or provide reporters with a copy of the report.
[image via ABC 4 Utah]
Source: Gabrielle Bluestone for Gawker
You know shit cray when a white mom’s black son can’t even make it to 30.
they don’t care if your mom is white when you look black
Next person to tell me mixed niggas are safe from this racist bullshit is getting slapped
^^^^^^^ what he said times 80
Do y’all know how fucking sad this makes me? leave people alone. This literally made me cry. FUCKING LEAVE PEOPLE ALONE?! I hate this world. Too fucked up, even for me
you guys!!!!!!! this turned out to be a nice story for once!!!!! so many people were saying nice things about her that she ended up makin an instagram just to see them!!!
she’s beautiful though, people kill me
Because of cognitive dissonance it is very hard… basically impossible for white people to tell the truth about history. The most dangerous thing a person of color can do is let this white controlled education system teach your child about him or herself. White people have no interest in telling the truth, when it comes to history their only goal is to boost the false sense of importance and self esteem of their white children. Everyday I ask my niece what they taught her in school today and then I tell her the truth. My Grandfather RIP had a saying “If a whitey say the sky is blue, ya betta go outside an check”
You want black people to stop suffering, do what the Most High told us to do.
AFRICANS sold ISRAELITES into slavery. Read the Bible!
I IT IS ALL WRITTEN.
DO YOU KNOW ABOUT BLACK TULSA? IF NOT… WHY NOT?
This horrific incident has been well documented, everywhere: from YouTube videos of survivor interviews to PBS Lesson Plans for school teachers. Please do your Google diligence:
- From May 30 to June 1, 1921, white citizens of Tulsa bombed burned and shot up the “Little Africa” section of Tulsa FOR 18 HOURS STRAIGHT
- Why would they do that? That same old lame excuse, a Black man supposedly did something to a white woman. But the real reason was ECONOMIC JEALOUSY. Whites may have called it Little Africa derisively, but there is a reason that Black Tulsa is known as Black Wall Street
- In addition to the 300 Blacks killed, and over 1,000 residential homes burned to the ground, also destroyed were:
- The Mt. Zion Baptist Church and five other churches; the Gurley Hotel, Red Wing Hotel, and Midway Hotel; the Tulsa Star and Oklahoma Sun newspaper offices; Dunbar Elementary School; Osborne Monroe’s Roller-Skating Rink; the East End Feed Store; the Y.M.C.A. Cleaners; the Dreamland Theater; a drug store, barbershop, banquet hall, several grocery stores, dentists, lawyers, doctors, and realtors offices; a U.S. Post Office Substation, as well the all-black Frissell Memorial Hospital. All told, marauding gangs of savage whites destroyed 40-square-blocks of Black economic and entrepreneurial prosperity!
64 years after the first bombing of an American city was committed against the Black residents of Tulsa… the second bombing of an American city took place in Philadelphia when the city bombed the black members of the MOVE organization. (see the blackourstory archive for details).
Isn’t it a shame that 76 after the bombing of Tulsa, when Timothy McVeigh blew up the Murrah Federal Office Building in Oklahoma City, most historically illiterate Americans - including American “journalists” - responded as if it were the first time such a horror had been visited on Oklahoma. If only we knew.
While there are many lessons to be drawn from this, a few questions that stick out to me are these:
- If the answer to Black second-class treatment from whites in America is supposedly to become the ultimate American capitalists…the ‘model minorities’… how do you explain Tulsa 1921?
- For those Black folk who think that the sole answer to Black people’s problems is simply more Blacks becoming business owners and more Blacks spending money with other Blacks… how did that work out for our people in Tulsa in ‘21?
- Considering not only Tulsa, but Rosewood, Florida, and many other thriving all-Black towns that you may know of that all met the same fate at the hands of murderous, envious, lazy crackers… WHEN ARE WE GOING TO ACKNOWLEDGE AND TAKE SERIOUSLY THE IDEA THAT BLACK WEALTH (ESPECIALLY ALL-BLACK WEALTH) WILL NEED TO BE PROTECTED WITH PHYSICAL FORCE?
There is a reason that Marcus Garvey AND Elijah Muhammad had armies of trained Black men as a huge part of their organizations. Many of us Black folk took those great men as jokes, yet NO BLACK LEADERS SINCE THOSE TWO have reached the same heights of economic and ideological success and unity of Black people.
Not only do we need to LEARN THIS HISTORY, we need to start taking these events men and movements MORE SERIOUSLY, and doing some CRITICAL HISTORICAL ANALYSIS if we are ever to stop being on the bottom rung of every metric in American life. Not just some casual or accidental reading of history; some CRITICAL. HISTORICAL. ANALYSIS.
TULSA 1921 was real. PHILLY 1985 was real. Will it happen again?